As a current or future health care administration leader, you might engage in certain cultural competence initiatives for your health care organization. In what ways would fostering increased efforts for cultural competence in a health care organization impact health care delivery? In what ways might cultural competence efforts enhance the patient experience in your health care organization?
For this Discussion, review the resources for this week and reflect on the efforts aimed at increasing cultural competence in health care. Consider how you, as a current or future health care administration leader, might promote efforts to ensure your health care organization provides culturally-competent care.
Post an explanation of your role in ensuring that your health care organization or one with which you are familiar provides culturally-competent care. Be specific and provide examples.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2015). Fact sheet: Enhancing diversity in the nursing workforce Links to an external site.. Retrieved from http://www.aacn.nche.edu/media-relations/diversityFS.pdf
- Association of American Medical Colleges. (2015). Facts and figures data series Links to an external site.. Retrieved from https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/diversity/179816/facts_and_figures.html
- Delphin-Rittmon, M., Andres-Hyman, R., Flanagan, E. H., & Davidson, L. (2013). Seven essential strategies for promoting and sustaining systemic cultural competence Links to an external site.. Psychiatric Quarterly, 84(1), 53-64.
- Dotson, E., Nuru-Jeter, A., & Brooks-Williams, D. (2012). Setting the stage for a business case for leadership diversity in healthcare: History, research, and leverage Links to an external site.. Journal of Healthcare Management, 57(1), 35-44; discussion 45-6.
- Wilson-Stronks, A., Mutha, S., & Swedish, J. R. (2010). From the perspective of CEOs: What motivates hospitals to embrace cultural competence? Links to an external site. Journal of Healthcare Management, 55(5), 339-352.