Talking about abortion | Social Science homework help
Abortion was a polarizing issue a century ago during the progressive era, and it remains so. In fact, you may have a firm perspective on whether abortion should be legal always, in certain circumstances, or never.
Modern perspectives on abortion have been influenced by the pivotal Roe v. Wade case. In 1973, the U.S. Supreme Court deemed a state’s banning of abortions unconstitutional. How did that case affect the nation and social work practice? How has it continued to inform public and private discussions about women’s rights?
For this Discussion, you examine the Roe v. Wade case and its effects.
- Explain how the landmark ruling of Roe v. Wade affected women’s right to an abortion.
- Reflect on the benefits and challenges for women talking about abortion.
- Name at least one benefit and one challenge.
- Explain how you would support a client whose perspective on abortion differs from yours.
- Stern, M.J., & Axinn, J. (2018). Social Welfare: A History of American Response to Need (9th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education.
- Chapter 5, “Progress and Reform: 1900-1930” (pp. 115-147)
- Ely, G. E., & Dulmus, C. N. (2010). Abortion policy and vulnerable women in the United States: A call for social work policy practice Links to an external site.. Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment, 20(5), 658–671.
- Garrow, D. J. (2014). How Roe v. Wade was written Links to an external site.. Washington & Lee Law Review, 71(2), 893–924.
- Smith, A. (2005). Beyond pro-choice versus pro-life: Women of color and reproductive justice Links to an external site.. NWSA Journal, 17(1), 119–140.
- Exhale Links to an external site.. (n.d.). Retrieved December 21, 2016, from https://exhaleprovoice.org
Baker, A. (2015, May). Aspen Baker: A better way to talk about abortion Links to an external site.[Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.ted.com/talks/aspen_baker_a_better_way_to_talk_about_abortion#t-646750
Gates, M. (2012, April). Melinda Gates: Let’s put birth control back on the agenda Links to an external site.[Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.ted.com/talks/melinda_gates_let_s_put_birth_control_back_on_the_agenda