DISCUSSION: Legal and Ethical Violations
Board Governance & Volunteer Management
DUE THURSDAY BY 9:00PM nEW yORK TIME 1-2 PAGES (not ncluding title and reference pages) APA FORMAT.
Creating and managing a nonprofit organization requires a deliberate and informed process. It is important that those who create or govern a nonprofit organization understand the laws, rules, regulations, and ethical issues involved in such an endeavor. Understanding these issues will help boards and organizational leadership prevent violations and assess how to implement corrective measures, if violations should occur.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review PDF article, “The Right Thing,” and consider examples of ethical misconduct among government employees. Think about similar examples related to governance and volunteerism that might arise in nonprofit organizations.
- Review Chapter 11 in the course text, Volunteer Management, paying particular attention to specific examples of legal and ethical violations volunteers might make. Also, consider the organizational implications of such violations.
- Review the Web site, “Nonprofit Governance and Accountability,” and consider potential legal or ethical violations related to governance and accountability and how each might impact public perceptions of nonprofit organizations. http://ccss.jhu.edu/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2011/09/LP_Communique4_2005.pdf
- Review the Web site, “A Guide to Minnesota’s Charities Laws.” Using the Internet, find the laws governing charities in your state, and focus on those that address governance and volunteerism. Then consider the organizational implications of violating these laws. http://www.ag.state.mn.us/Brochures/pubGuidetoCharitiesLaws.pdf
- Reflect on examples of ethical and/or legal violations, related to board governance or volunteers, that have been in the news, recently or historically, and how those violations affected the organizations.
- Using the Walden Library, another library, or the Internet, find an example of a legal or ethical violation related to governance and volunteerism made by a nonprofit organization in the State of Connecticut. Reflect on why it was a violation.
- Consider the implications of the legal or ethical violation on the organization.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post Wednesday 9pm an example of a legal or ethical violation related to governance or volunteerism made by a nonprofit organization in your state. Be sure to explain why it was a violation, citing specific laws or ethical guidelines. Then describe at least two implications of the violation on the organization. Be specific. PLEASE UTILIZE THE UPLOADED pdf RESOURCES, AND THE LINKS AND THE CITATIONS AND REFERENCES.